 Robotics / 26127
Re: Have you got your NXT yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:02:00 GMT

On Wed, June 28, 2006 9:35 am, Tim Byrne wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
   I know that some folks already have gotten the NXT and have started playing
with it, but I've yet to see anybody announcing such here, so I was curious.
Also: should I direct new NXT users into the LUGNET forums? I'm already starting
to get more questions than I can answer...

If you've got it, first impressions?

My VERY FIRST impression is that the RCX is faster than the NXT.

In my two previous tests with the RCX it took about three days with standard
shipping to arrive at my door (counting from when shop@home sends me shipment
notification).  My test with NXT is still running and going on four days.  The
data I've been able to extract from UPS indicates that the NXT could possibly
take twice as long (six days).

I'll try to write up the full comparison of results when the NXT test case
finally completes, but most likely I won't have time because I'll be playing
with my NXT instead of wasting everyone's time with stupid joke posts such as
this.

Tim,

I think you should consider there are other factors that cause the NXT to be slower
than the RCX.  You may not be able to accurately run this speed test, until the NXT
shipping bottleneck is eased.  I assume that will be sometime next year.  I suggest
you run the test again, then.  Maybe several times.

Also, I suspect your NXT will travel over water.  That's something your RCX may not
have done during your test.

Actually, I have no idea if there is a shipping bottleneck, but if the problem
continues, maybe you should re-run the calibration program.  It's possible the light
sensor readings are different enough that it's having a hard time detecting your
door, because it was calibrated before crossing the water.

Steve