 Robotics / 26210
Re: Have you got your NXT yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 04:34:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
   I know that some folks already have gotten the NXT and have started playing
with it, but I've yet to see anybody announcing such here, so I was curious.
Also: should I direct new NXT users into the LUGNET forums? I'm already starting
to get more questions than I can answer...

If you've got it, first impressions?

A little late, but I got mine today and here are my first impressions:

1) Paid 2 day shipping on Friday and it got here today (was hoping to have it to
play with on July 4th, but...)
2) I decided to try to be patient and read the instructions! (and follow them)
to see what many new users would see (am very glad I did with the studless
construction and all)
3) The "try me" and "quick start" are EXCELLENT ideas to get people started and
make them thoroughly impressed with their new toy (especially the ultrasonic and
sound sensor try me programs)
4) My two sons (13 and 10 - users of the RCX and Robolab for several years) were
fairly turned off by the size of it (in the picture it looks like an mp3 player
but the NXT brick is actually bigger than the RCX brick). They said, "I thought
computers were getting smaller." The sensors are bigger and the motors are
almost unwieldy. The connectors are not that flexible (meaning it is difficult
to get the long ones out of the way so the NXT doesn't trip over itself).
5) The quick start robot was fairly easy to build (even I could do it without my
sons' help!) The instructions were pretty good. It concerns me though about the
studless building, when others were concerned, I blew it off. Well, after seeing
what it takes to get the NXT to use motors and wheels, it kind of disappoints me
(it will take me a while to get used to it as I liked to be able (with the RCX)
to build a line follower fairly quickly (or even something to move forward and
backward)). I view this as a big disadvantage. Although the synchronization of
the motors should eliminate countless problems encountered with the RCX.
6) I have just started with the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT language and do not see it
as that big of an improvement over RIS. (I have only done the quick start trybot
program so far.) I am very glad that robolab 2.9 works with both NXT and the
RCX. This will be a big aid to me as I will be dealing with people with both
products but they only have to learn one user interface.

All in all I am fairly happy so far

Disclaimer: note these are my initial impressions and are subject to change as I
use it more!