 Robotics / 26187
Re: thoughts on gbc module reliability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 06:03:56 GMT

I built a few modules for an Australian AFOL meeting. I must say i did very little testing.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/steven-dunn/BrickVentures/POST-BV/dscn0226.jpg

The three components were:

1 conveyor belt (excellent reliablility and throuput)

2 screw (inspired by Philo) which had a tiny bow in the 32L axle causing excessive leaks, but good over all throughput.

3 pneumatic elevator (very slow-0.1bps. minimal leaks but excesive mechanical failures)

I think their flawed construction constituted to their outstanding success. While the machine needed maintenance almost every minute, it was susequently one of the most popular displays at the show given that everybody took it upon them selves to have a build/play/fix.

The next one i build isn’t even going to have balls, it will just be a machine that breaks itself !