 Robotics / 26158
Re: thoughts on gbc module reliability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:00:46 GMT

...and then, after lots of testing and verifications, you get the problem of
mechanical wear! Some designs are more sensitive to that than others. For
example my Archimede screw (http://philohome.com/gbc/gbc-screw.htm) that
initially worked reliably is now unusable after several work days at
LegoWorld... I tried to fix it but it seems it cant be done without dismantling
it completely and replace most parts.

Similarly the spybot train
(http://www.freelug.org/IMG/cache-500x143/st1-v-500x143.jpg) had a propulsion
transmitted by 3 z16 gears mounted on axle pins... after a while there was a
huge quantity of abs powder! Works better now with gears mounted on axles 3L
supported on both sides.

Worm gears are no better (of course!). This module
http://philohome.com/gbc/gbc-sweeper.htm has ground about one millimeter of half
bush and support axle joiner...

Philo