 Robotics / 26160
Re: thoughts on gbc module reliability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:54:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

...and then, after lots of testing and verifications,
you get the problem of mechanical wear!

   Yeah, that's a good point. I've yet to have a module fail due to wear, but
for at least one of my modules I've actually found a dusting of yellow ABS under
certain axles by the end of the day. I guess part of this is just due to the
fact that my GBC stuff is some of the *only* moving LEGO that I've ever had
cumulative run-time measured in days.

Worm gears are no better (of course!).

   I've got one that uses a worm-driven cam to bump the bottom of the feeding
area, breaking ball jams. I figure at some point I'll see the cam start to erode
through the LEGO bump plate.

--
Brian Davis