 People / 4552
Re: Halcyon days? (was Re: Just great.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:54:35 GMT

In lugnet.people, Dave Schuler wrote:

Well, all right.

I don’t really care about flame-wars because they’re self-evidently juvenile and they tend to involve the same flamers over and over again. I myself have lamented what I will refer to as Rhinoceros Dominance (search for “middens” if you want to see what I’m talking about), but my recollection is that most of the protracted shouting matches went on in the “hidden” forums rather than playing out on the front page. Also, though LUGNET was smaller back then, the signal:noise ratio was much higher, so a spat between to mechophiles could go unnoticed in a flood of other, more productive posts. Often LUGNET goes a half an hour or more without a new message being posted, so when someone posts a “you’re a stinker” diatribe, it tends to linger.

Additionally, those halcyon days didn’t support FTX, so it was less likely that someone would hotlink a an image broadcasting his colorful grasp of anatomy.

I’m not blindly nostalgic. I recall the early days, warts and all. But, in terms of proportion, LUGNET has become wartier and wartier as time has gone on, and I’m not sure that it’s a welcome trend.

Why is it always implied that newer members are largely to blame for LUGNET’s decline? It seems to me that more often than not, newer members are even more uncomfortable here than you vetrans. LUGNET more than any other LEGO fan site, seems to be driven by elitism. Not unlike a fanclub, senior members oftem place themselves above and beyond the newbies. In turn, membership has dropped significantly in the past few years. Look how few members LUGNET has lured into the fold over the past four months.

From my limited experience here, I find that this place is simply too inhosbitable to all but the most fanatical of fans. This thread is a shining example of the elitism and hostility that is all too frequent in this fandom. Still, vetran users would prefer to point the blame elsewhere, rather than take it upon themselves to act more cordial towards their fellow fans. Heck, just typing this reply is putting me on edge.

At the end of the day, LUGNET has simply become less relevant to the AFOL community. Casual fans seem to have moved on to other forums, specializing in certain niches (classic-castle, FBTB etc.), rather than listening to the long winded diatribes of the LUGNET hardcore. Now, it seems that this is simply a site to vent. When a MOC is profiled, a few of you vetrans may indulge yourselves by typing a short review, but such a need is easily filled by other sites (MOCpages for example). Less accomplished builders quickly find out that nobody here even cares about their mediocre MOCing. Most of these types won’t stick around for long. So, is it any surprise that there isn’t alot of traffic around here?

Later.