 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17115
Re: Just great.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:42:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Dave Schuler wrote:

The stereotype envisions the AFOL as an immature loner unable to engage in
healthy social interaction.  Perhaps he lives in his parents basement, and
perhaps he's even held a woman's hand other than his mother's.  The stereotype
meshes neatly with the Comic Book guy from The Simpsons, a rude and sarcastic
misfit, misanthropic and misogynistic with little to recommend him outside of
his collection.

I wasn't really aware this stereotype existed until now.

For the record, I'm independent, reasonably polite, and perfectly capable of
healthy social interaction - I just don't see Eric as a fit person to waste it
on. And yes, I have done considerably more than hold hands with women other than
my mother. Misanthropic I'll have to concede.

To be fair, you may not have been referring to me. Were you? I can think of one
person in this thread who fits all of those descriptions to a T.

And I am disappointed to see the stereotype is sometimes embodied so negatively
and so totally

Well, I love a good passive-aggressive insult as much as anybody, especially
inaccurate ones, but I think you're missing the larger error on both sides.

In retrospect I concur that I shouldn't have posted that image - nothing gets
people riled up like sex, especially questionably sexual humor. And Lugnet being
so quiet these days, I could hardly count on it being missed. It's been removed.

Everyone who responded, you might have been better served to send a quiet
private email indicating your offense and requesting that I take down the image.
I was happy to do so, as you can see.

Instead, you chose to respond publically, which makes us all equally guilty of
clogging up the server with noise posts.

Soren