 Off-Topic / Debate / 27852
Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:24:49 GMT

That is rather cold, however I have often thought of that since it costs me between $5,000 - $10,000 a year just to keep up with the new sets. Being OCD Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder) I have to get two of everything that comes out. Then find the new ones from around the world. This has caused me to have Galidor tons of Znap which I first traded from England (several old train car sets). They were then sent to TRU and were discounted 70-80%. so 10 of each. I would hate to see such a fine product no longer available to children everywhere, as well as us adults and old people. Perhaps Lego will reach a compromise and scale down production. They have eliminated colors and are scaling down the number of different elements. I am not sure that moving to Eastern Europe is a great move as well as manufacting in China. I expect that telephone orders will now go to operators in India (like Dell tech support and so many other tech supports.) There has to be a compromise somewhere. Last year $83 million in profits, divided 4 ways is still a handsome amount. Perhaps the four owners do not need quite that amount of money. It would probably cost them $500,000 each to hire back the Enfield employees. Rather sad that money is more important than peoples lives (thanks new CEO). This whole thing is a bit confusing and I am not sure how I feel about all this. I love Lego but also need to eat now that I am retired. My wife has been understanding up to this point of my complusion. Also several hundred Enfield employees need to eat. Who knows how this will play out. I was under the impression that it was due to me, no longer having unlimited Lego funds, that they are laying off all these folks, maybe not. John P (956)