 Off-Topic / Debate / 27867
Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:38:53 GMT

I blame Canada,

Blaming Canada makes sense. Lego in divesting itself of the manufacture of lego elements is following the moves of its two competitors in “system” level elements. Best Lock has ceased manufacturing its semi compatible bricks and now is the marketing agent for the Cobi company of Poland, which manufactures in eastern europe. MegaBrands has transfered almost all of its manufacturing and assembly to the people’s republic. Lego is just the last of the 3 to outsource manufacture. Lego’s challenge has always been what to do once the patents on the system expired decades ago. Focusing on design is probably their best strategy. They have also changed their design parameters....projects must be ready for the market from conception to distribution in half the time previously allowed. This has already paid off in the timely reissue of the soccer elements of their defunct sports line in time for the world cup. And war toys are invading their line more and more. Star Wars opened the door, but violence is more and more part of the lego line. Compare their old Spiderman line with the new Batman line that’s out now with its Glocks, etc.