 MediaWatch / 2115
  Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(URL) follows: Danish-based toy maker Lego Systems Inc. plans to lay off more than 44 percent of its Enfield work force by early next year, and will close its Enfield packaging operation, subcontracting all warehousing, packaging, and distribution (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

After I picked my jaw up off the floor, all I can say is WOW. Not quite what I expected. And it's making me rethink our 'LEGO only store/warehouse' since I can not see how this can do anything but make things even crazier. (18 years ago, 20-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) That's a big hit for Enfield, a town that enjoyed its close relationship with TLC. Enfield lost molding in 2000 and now is losing packaging. Soon there will be just two buildings left. I grew up in CT, about 13 miles north of "Erector Square" (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

As of 9:59 am Pacific Time, this story is on Yahoo's front page. Paul Sinasohn LUGNET #115 (18 years ago, 20-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Wow. I heard it first on the local talk/news radio station (WTIC 1080 AM) a few minutes before I dug up the quoted newspaper article. I'd never guess this would become a national story. A bit of digging turned up the press release on the (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

I'm concerned about all the friends we have in Enfield - I hope they still have jobs with our favorite company... JohnG, GMLTC (18 years ago, 20-Jun-06, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

After nine years of working for an international company, I am still amazed that the "modern" answer to unfavorable business results is practically always job cuts. They don't seem to teach anything else in management classes anymore (did they (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  The End of Lego (was: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT))

(...) Read the news today, oh boy (sorry for such an obvious quote, I could'nt resist). Why is anyone suprised by this? Lego has stated for the last 2 years that this was going to happen. Here's the thing: I dont think this is the worse news you are (...) (18 years ago, 21-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general) !

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Wow for me, too! 75%!! Good lord! I must confess I've not been following this development because frankly, I'm more interested in building. I guess what bothers me most is that Lego, like Pixar and many other companies and/or entities which (...) (18 years ago, 21-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: The End of Lego (was: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT))

(...) that will work until the chinese start asking for the same sort of pay and benefits we have been having for a while. see for instance apple's 2 months in india. day 0 : apple announces that they open a huge development center in bangalore un a (...) (18 years ago, 21-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I don't know about you, but Lego's business decisions seem to have been a lot more consistent and rational in the last 2 years, thus opening less opportunities for amateur traders like me to make a buck. They seem to be sending the right stock (...) (18 years ago, 21-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: The End of Lego (was: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT))

(...) Very well stated Jim!! Today we mainly know that KKK is the principal owner of Lego. But his older sister Gunhild also owns a big chunk of Lego, as Jim has aready stated. Here's a 1958 picture of them (along with their late younger sister (...) (18 years ago, 21-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I blame Galidor. LFB (18 years ago, 22-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

Don't forget Z-Naps part in all this. John (18 years ago, 22-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I blame Bush. JOHN (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

In China, as well as other third world countries, it's always easier to deal with those who ask for more pay, better working conditions, and more rights in general (witness Tiananmen Square). This method as of now, is politically unacceptable in the (...) (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

No it was Sadam, why do you think he is on trial. Or maybe Kennedy, he killed that woman by driving into a vat of yellow hot melted plastic. That is what took him so long to report it. Had to get all the yellow off of himself while holding a bottle (...) (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Don't forget--he had to arrange for Vince Foster's "suicide," too. Dave! (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Look, you are entitled to your own opinion, sunshine, but really. That is about the stupidest comment I've read on LUGNET in a while. That is, unless you are trolling, to which I say, "good one", because you got me to bite. JOHN (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

That is rather cold, however I have often thought of that since it costs me between $5,000 - $10,000 a year just to keep up with the new sets. Being OCD Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder) I have to get two of everything that comes out. Then find the new (...) (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I wouldn't call the comment stupid. I think it comes from a fan who feels let down and now questions his support of the company that made the decision that led to his disappontment. I feel let down too. I don't want to buy the Lego "brand" by (...) (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) The difference, of course, is that the facade of brand-purism would be torn down, and fans would finally have to determine whether they're purists because it's LEGO or because it's made in Enfield. There may be a legitimate issue of quality (...) (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I'm sick to death of this equation of manufacturing in poor countries being eqivalent to slavery/evil/whatever. It is quite possible for a company to employ people at a good local income in a country where the cost of living is lower and still (...) (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) The bottom line is that TLG is a business, and they are doing whatever they feel necessary to remain in business. Some bad business decisions? Perhaps, but to blame TLG for not having perfect market vision is a little harsh. TLG is an old (...) (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Presumably you also want to see BL stores go out of business, by placing (URL) huge bogus orders> with them? Or was that just some weird personal vengeance because I don't agree with your views on gun ownership or something???? Please climb (...) (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Patterson wrote: <snip> (...) Slacker!-- wrecking it for the wrest of us:-) JOHN (18 years ago, 23-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

This recent article on Sweden seemed relevant, though Denmark is compared somewhat favorably, I still wonder about the jobs numbers. (URL) retained the world's highest taxes, generous social security systems and a heavily regulated labor market, (...) (18 years ago, 24-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Actually, I am glad that they have work, but I would prefer it not processing raw materials for a foreign company so that people can have toys. There are other ways they could be productive -- farming, for instance. Or producing goods that (...) (18 years ago, 24-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Fair enough - cost savings can be achieved. If all this new work resulted in standards of living increasing in the countries the jobs were farmed out to - wouldn't the wages then have to rise to compensate? Then what would be the long-term (...) (18 years ago, 24-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Yes the wages and costs would rise with time. The extra money generated in the meanwhile can be used for internal job creation and raising of standards. If the business costs become too high then the business can move to a new lower cost (...) (18 years ago, 24-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

Re: LEGO migrating production to Singapore (...) Thomas Main wrote: (...) I'd just like to toss in that Singapore is a first world country, not a third world country. It's more urbanized than Tokyo, a heck of a lot cleaner than New York (where I (...) (18 years ago, 24-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I blame Canada, (18 years ago, 24-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) They're not even a real country anyway. JOHN (18 years ago, 24-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) There's a difference: no one is forcing workers in China to go work for these factories. In fact, the hierarchy in China as far as desirable places to work: American company European company Japan/Korean company (a perceived step down to this (...) (18 years ago, 25-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Blaming Canada makes sense. Lego in divesting itself of the manufacture of lego elements is following the moves of its two competitors in "system" level elements. Best Lock has ceased manufacturing its semi compatible bricks and now is the (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) For the record, and I think I speak for Patrick as well-- he nor I were "blaming Canada", but simply riffing on the song from the TV show South Park called "Blame Canada". My statement was a line from the song. My "I blame Bush" was a jab at (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I call that wiggling. We all know your feelings aboot our neighbor to the north, to say nothing of its hoser inhabitants, eh? And now you're trying to claim that you're not blaming them? For crying oot lood! (...) I would rather see Nick (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I blame democrats and lefties too--they didn't stand up for what's right and let Dubya take all of America down the wrong path. They knew better yet, due to political expediency, kept their mouths shut and let Dubya and the administration sell (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I blame democrats and lefties too--they didn't stand up for what's right and let Dubya take all of America down the wrong path. They knew better yet, due to political expediency, kept their mouths shut and let Dubya and the administration sell (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys wrote: snip (...) how'd the double-post happen? I think I clicked the post button once.... The post must've been so well written and eloquent that the server deemed to post it twice! :) Dave K (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler wrote: snip (...) snip (...) Take off! All of you are 'hoser-wannabe's' Dave K (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I don't think so. There was PLENTY of screaming; it's just that the screaming didn't find a sympathetic ear amongst the US GP. (...) I don't think that they are "laughing". We proved that we aren't afraid to take action, even when the world (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) You would, Dave! :-) (...) Okay, okay, I admit it-- I blame Canada. But not for the demise of TLG! I mostly blame them for my own great white northern accent! >:( (...) Why not? He's a kick-ass kind of guy, eh? Might be too young, however... (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Beauty. JOHN (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) We'll get our 2-4 of beer, some back bacon on the coleman, and enjoy the view whilst sitting on our muskoka chairs, all the while dreading the upcoming toque season... Dave K -hoser extra-ordinaire... (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I'm with ya... (...) I'm with ya... (...) I'm still with ya... (...) Ya lost me. As a service to the clueless such as I, consulted the Wik: == Canadian variant In Canada, "toque" may also be a misspelling of tuque (IPA /tuk/), a knit woollen (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Times that one, two four, by six, add a good cigar or three, and hey you just described my upcoming weekend plans! Oops, wait you left out the fact that I will "tippercanoe" in the middle of "leach lake", and fire off a case-load of overpriced (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Uh... What? Dave! (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Not a (URL) "24"> fan are you, Dave!? (although I admit I didn't signal my turn there:-) JOHN (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I'll have you know that I've seen every hour in first-run since the debut. If he hadn't been offed this season, I would have voted for David Palmer in '08. But the Superman connection is eluding me... Dave! (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Now you are starting to sound like Dave! Dave! :-) JOHN (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Hey, me too! I actually wrote in Jack Ryan in the '96 election:-) (...) It was my "kick-ass kind of guy" comment that prompted it. You know-- little boys wearing pajamas and underwear with their hero Superman imprinted on them. The implication (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) Definitely China has a massive and booming middle class. the current generation of children are called the spoiled ones, because parents in the big cities (by law) are having only one child and giving them everything they didn't have while (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jun-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  (murfl)

(murfl) (17 years ago, 23-Jul-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) -snip- (...) And for that, we(1) will be forever grateful . Cheers Richie Dulin (1) I hope I'm not being too presumptious in speaking for the rest of the world here. (17 years ago, 23-Jul-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

Harvey wrote some stuff, including: (...) Good for you! (...) Like playing with little train horns? (...) Why would I want to silence you? Your posts are a source of great amusement to me, lol. (...) ROSCO (Wondering just how your taxes support me) (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)

(...) I'm quitting my job now I know Harvey's on the job supporting everyone. Who do I send my bills to? The IRS, or directly to Harvey? Allister (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)