 Off-Topic / Debate / 27874
Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:11:13 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Marak wrote:

I blame Canada,

Blaming Canada makes sense.

For the record, and I think I speak for Patrick as well-- he nor I were “blaming Canada”, but simply riffing on the song from the TV show South Park called “Blame Canada”. My statement was a line from the song.

My “I blame Bush” was a jab at Democrats and lefties, riffing on LFB’s humorous “I blame Galidor”.

All of this is in fun, not serious analysis:-)

JOHN

I blame democrats and lefties too--they didn’t stand up for what’s right and let Dubya take all of America down the wrong path. They knew better yet, due to political expediency, kept their mouths shut and let Dubya and the administration sell off everything to big business interests and political friends.

I don’t think so. There was PLENTY of screaming; it’s just that the screaming didn’t find a sympathetic ear amongst the US GP.

   The political capital that the US had to do anything right and just in the world was squandered away for the sake of getting Saddam and ‘spreading democracy’ (or was it WMD’s--can’t remember). Now Iran and N. Korea’s leaders are laughing any time the US ‘talks tough’ about restricting nuclear weapons programs.

I don’t think that they are “laughing”. We proved that we aren’t afraid to take action, even when the world (for the most part) disagrees. I know SH isn’t laughing so much....

   Iraq was truly an insignificant country on the political map compared to the aforementioned two countries, yet that’s where the US administration put its focus.

I disagree. With all of its oil, meaning lots of $$$ at the disposal of a sadistic monster, it was at least as important strategically as Iran. North Korea is more of a menace to its neighbors (our allies) than to us.

   Well, I stated before this whole thing started--‘Have fun storming the castle!’ Now, of course, we see the repercussions of the unjust ‘storming’ of Iraq.

If you mean “unjust” in the sense that it didn’t have UN approval, then I say “whatever”. If ever there was a corrupt organization, it is the UN.

   I’m not John Kerry appreciator, but someone please explain to me how a decorated Vietnam vet got mangled into looking like he was ‘soft on war’ and a president and VP that never served and had deferments and even (maybe) went AWOL looked like soldiers in action.

Because JFK is first and foremost a politician and it showed; he is a human waffle. His appeal is pretty much limited to his constituents in MA and other various lefties.

   And now the same people that made that magic act happen are trying to do it to Rep. Murtha.

No, Murtha is doing it to himself. His message is simply not resonanting with the US GP. Period.

   Well, as Dubya himself said eloquently, “There’s an old saying in Tennessee — I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.”

Okay, funny quotation, but ad hominems are low blows-- just ask Bill Clinton. (see what I mean;-)

JOHN