 Off-Topic / Debate / 27854
Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:00:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Main wrote:

   I feel let down too. I don’t want to buy the Lego “brand” by buying bricks actually made by some other company - really, what would be the difference between that and buying any other clone brand?

The difference, of course, is that the facade of brand-purism would be torn down, and fans would finally have to determine whether they’re purists because it’s LEGO or because it’s made in Enfield. There may be a legitimate issue of quality involved; if the new made-in-China bricks happen to be of lesser quality, then purists may contend that there really is no difference between LEGO and a clone. But if there’s no resulting differnce in quality, then the notion of brand-purism becomes all the sillier.

Heck, aside from the brand name and the place of manufacture, there’s very little difference between LEGO and some clones as it is!

   I am sad that Lego is phasing out manufacutring and outsourcing more and more. I hate the idea of poor people living in sub-standard conditions making a product for the wealthy living in luxury.

Isn’t TLG a privately-held company? If so, then what can be the possible motivation for this move, other than greed? It’s not like they have to bow to the wishes of their million public shareholders, after all!

   I think we tried that experiment before and it was called slavery then.

Well, that might be expanding the argument beyond the current job-cuts, but if you want to argue that wage-slavery is not, at its root, fundamentally different from actual slavery, I’m happy to hear your argument (though some here might accuse you of inciting class warfare).

Dave!