 MediaWatch / 2117
Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:39:26 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Will Middelaer wrote:
   http://www.journalinquirer.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16811796&BRD=985&PAG=461&deptid=161556&rfi=6

Danish-based toy maker Lego Systems Inc. plans to lay off more than 44 percent of its Enfield work force by early next year...

That’s a big hit for Enfield, a town that enjoyed its close relationship with TLC. Enfield lost molding in 2000 and now is losing packaging. Soon there will be just two buildings left.

I grew up in CT, about 13 miles north of “Erector Square” in New Haven where they created and manufactured Erector Sets and American Flyer trains. A.C. Gilbert, the company’s founder died when I was a child and in only a few years American Flyer was gone forever and Erector became a trademark for sale. It was a terrible loss with out of proportion repercussions. I always thought it was wonderfula coincidence that only decade later, TLC opened its North American operations in Enfield, CT, less than an hour away from New Haven.

-Ted