 MediaWatch / 2115

Subject:
Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:40:44 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

http://www.journalinquirer.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16811796&BRD=985&PAG=461&dept_id=161556&rfi=6

Excerpt follows:

Danish-based toy maker Lego Systems Inc. plans to lay off more than 44 percent
of its Enfield work force by early next year, and will close its Enfield
packaging operation, subcontracting all warehousing, packaging, and distribution
work to an international company based in Singapore, Lego officials said today.

Cuts at its headquarters in Denmark will be even larger, with 75 percent of the
1,200 employees there expected to lose their jobs by next year, the company
announced.

Lego also plans to sell all but two of its Enfield buildings, company officials
said.

Lego also announced today that it will maintain production of Lego Technic and
Bionicle parts at its headquarters in Billund, Denmark. But even there, "Lego
plans to gradually shift production of products to Flextronics' plants in
eastern Europe, in stages over the next three years, affecting up to 900 of the
1,200 current production jobs in Denmark," according to a statement from Lego
Group Chief Executive Officer Jorgen Vig Knudstorp.

In addition, Flextronics also will take over operations at the Lego factory in
the Czech Republic beginning August, Knudstorp said.

Lego ended all manufacturing at its Enfield plant in 2000, farming that work out
to its plants overseas, leaving only the North American headquarters corporate
functions in Enfield, along with the packing and distribution work that is now
to be ended as well.

Once the layoffs are completed next March, the Enfield work force will total
about 360, according to McNally.

Lego also expects to close its existing five distribution centers in Denmark,
Germany, and France by March 2007, he said. Those closings will mean an
additional 213 Lego job cuts, and will leave Lego with only one European
distribution center, in the Czech Republic

Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)
After I picked my jaw up off the floor, all I can say is WOW.  Not quite what I
expected.  And it's making me rethink our 'LEGO only store/warehouse' since I
can not see how this can do anything but make things even crazier.

Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)