 MediaWatch / 2120
Re: Massive Layoffs At Lego (in Enfield, CT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:14:36 GMT

After nine years of working for an international company, I am still amazed that
the "modern" answer to unfavorable business results is practically always job
cuts. They don't seem to teach anything else in management classes anymore (did
they ever?)

You'd guess that "shareholder value" only applies to a stock-trading company,
but not a family-owned like TLC. Well, second guess please...

I'm certainly somewhat disappointed seeing product quality decrease while the
workforce is being reduced or vice versa, leading to the only result that
quality still gets worse, there is no-one left to deal with it, and business
figures reach the floor and start to dig.

The saddest part is, that even _if_ we were able to buy as much LEGO as is
required to improve their business results (and if there were sets worth of
buying in such quantities), management would still see the cost cutting effects
and continue the outsourcing effort - most probably finding two years later that
it was everything but a good idea. I could go ranting about this forever as it
drives me mad to see people who practically lived for their company lose their
jobs like that.

Jerry