 Marketplace / Shopping / 3942
Re: Coming Soon ... Brickbay.com (Replacement for Bricks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 11:35:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Christopher L. Weeks writes:

preferences in myBrickbay.  Among other preferences will be:

* Your store name
* Selling either spare parts, official sets or custom sets

Do you mean _or_ or do you mean any combination?

Any combination, obviously :-)

I'd like to have folder tabs allowing me to sell any of the three options.

Yes that is what it will eventually end up.  I've got a rough outline how the
adding of parts will look like here:  (only some parts and categories are
defined).

http://www.aloha.net/~danjezek/partsAdd.html

VBScript generates JavaScript code depending on what parts and categories are
in the database which in turn generates a cascading selection menu.  When
selecting sets, it will be a three-way cascading menu where you select the
theme first followed by the subtheme followed by the set.
This might create a problem with loading time if there are a lot of parts and
sets in the DB.
This model is based on eBay (see the 3-way cascading menu when selling and
choosing from all categories at once (old method).  Quote here:

"The old Sell Your Item form had over 4,000 categories and could take 21
seconds to download. We updated the Sell Your Item to 2 pages so that you can
choose your category, which would then download the appropriate subcategories.
This would reduce download time for Sell Your Item from 21 seconds to 6
seconds on average, depending on the category."

I don't think there are close to 4,000 sets or pieces ever made so when you
want to sell parts/sets, it might take 21 seconds (or less) to download.  I
can also provide an alternate method where you pick the category/theme first
and then followed by the rest.

And what about other LEGO
stuff: clothing, posters, bookbags, masks, instructions, etc?

Hmmmm, I haven't thought of that.  Instructions and boxes could be included in
the set selection process where you pick if you're either selling the whole
set, the instructions or the box only.  As for the other stuff, I guess that
could be a whole other section having categories books, masks, etc. or just
have everything under category "other".

* Shipping in the U.S. only or anywhere in the world
* Methods of payment accepted
* Minimum order amount (applicable to when only selling parts)

Why only when selling parts?  I should be able to have parts, and set • available
and set a minimum order for total orders, if I want to...right?  If someone
buys by Alpha Centauri Outpost and they also want 20 2x4s in dark grey, I • think
they've fulfilled my minimum order reqs.

Why only parts.... Do you want to set a limit on sets also so that you only
sell two or more at a time?  But yes, that is a good point.  The minimum order
should be for everything.

I'm also thinking about including a "condition" rating system (ex: mint, near
mint, good, bad, etc.) that everyone would follow and it would be selected
when adding items to their inventory.

If you do, you'll have to make it optional, or include very specific guidlines
so that all your merchants will hold to the same meaning.
By the way, we're all keen to hear even an estimate of your fee structure.

A fee structure... haven't thought of it yet.  I'll come up with something
when everything is completed and all bugs are worked out.  It will be
definitely competitive though.