 LEGO Company / 969
Re: AFOLs - The comic!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:24:37 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   Wow. It’s been a week and a half since BrickFest PDX, and I’m just now starting to get caught up. I went straight from PDX to Enfield and had some terrific Community Development meetings with the team. Lots of good things happening!

Awesome!

   But the comic was such a huge success that I was able to secure a small amount of funding to put it into print!

Wow, very cool!

It’s a bit rough in places (as you know) and there’s a bit of repetition, but I think it shows a lot of promise. An excellent first draft! I look forward to more.

I love the badges on pp. 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, and I think the tip of the hat to the classic striped minifig torso on page 27 is also a really nice touch. How about a cameo by Bill & Mary?

   Perhaps you can get this comic in front of them to show them how much fun the community is.

Hmm, I’m not sure that’s the primary message I’d get from the content. What stood out most to me was the negativity: the kvetching about the grays and stuff. True, the depiction is accurate and timely -- and personally I definitely relate to it -- but I’m not sure that a non-AFOL would grok the humor without having it explained to them (which would draw extra attention to the negativity).

Don’t get me wrong, I think you need to have those for your internal presentation -- and LEGO execs certainly ought to get the jokes -- and I think presenting things accurately (with humor, of course) is better than hiding the disdain. But have a quick look again at pages 2, 9, 11, 19, 23, 24, and 25 and ask: Who is the target market for those pages? -- AFOLs or non-AFOLs?

   Many many thanks to Greg. He’s an incredible artist and a hilarious writer. Take a minute to tell him how cool he is!

Greg, you are the c00l!

j00r spelling sux0rs though. :) BrikWars is spelled with an s, not a z.

   I’ve posted this draft to get your feedback. We’d love to hear your thoughts on the comics, or ideas for strips we may have missed. What other types of information can we put in along with the comics to help pull in the “Sleepers”?

If the goal is pulling in sleepers, I would yank anything negative and keep the tone as positive as possible. You know, keep doing negative strips and all, but publish ‘em only to AFOLs and the internal TLC audience.

   We’d love to hear your thoughts on the comics, or ideas for strips we may have missed.

OK, here are some random thoughts... Not all of these are probably suitable for a non-AFOL audience, but maybe one or two might be...
  • 8-wide vs. 6-wide; punchline 2-wide.
  • Castle/Space sabotages: moonbase compliancy, sheepnork attacks, etc.
  • Someone that walks around at BrickFest and all they can say is “pleh.”
  • Building a set and thinking a piece is missing, but it isn’t.
  • Never having time to build because pieces aren’t sorted yet.
  • Buying 10 copies of a set just to get 10 copies of one piece, THEN finding out that BrickLink exists.
  • Playing with LEGO pieces at the dinner table.
  • Reading a LEGO catalog in the loo.
  • Stepping on a LEGO piece and drawing blood, but being happy because the piece didn’t break.
  • Getting up at 7am, going to BrickFest, skipping breakfast and lunch, and something funny happens at the end of the day because of it.
  • Something with DUPLO being oversized -- maybe a minifig AFOL bumps into a DUPLO or PRIMO fig or something.

   And the idea - is it a good one? Do you see yourself using this?

Ya, I wanna see more!!

--Todd