 LEGO Company / 1025
Re: AFOLs - The comic!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:07:04 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Allister McLaren wrote:
   Indeed, and that’s what it’s doing now. Seems to me though is that the intention is to make it more ‘preachy’.

I think you’re jumping to conclusions here. All we’ve seen so far was the version that was used for internal purposes. Significantly different audiences will need versions that are tailored to fit their needs and views. The whole greys issue needed to be put in front of TLC management in a way that they’ll fully understand the negative impact that it will have on their loyal customer base, and if they can’t see it as anything more than a funny joke, they don’t deserve our business or our public support. Elsewhere in this thread, Jake speaks of trust. In this case, we need to trust that the people who have been hired by TLC can see beyond the joke to the heart of the matter. We also need to trust that Jake and Greg will be able to tailor a new version to the public’s needs and interests as well as they have to Management’s.

   Exactly. This is why I’m not sure that a comic like this is a very effective ‘recruiting tool’ for Dark Agers.

This version was never meant to be, and I have a feeling that the “recruitment” version will be aimed a lot more at self-persecuting closet-builders than at people who have willingly walked away from it all. There’s a difference between showing someone that it’s okay to openly enjoy their favorite hobby and trying to rekindle peoples’ interest in a hobby that they’ve decided to leave behind them. Every closet-builder is a success story waiting to happen, but the vast majority of Dark Agers will never return to this hobby no matter what you say to them (though it can’t hurt to try). Lack of impact on the latter is a pathetic argument for abandoning the former.