 LEGO Company / 962
Re: AFOLs - The comic!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:35:54 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   Wow. It’s been a week and a half since BrickFest PDX, and I’m just now starting to get caught up. I went straight from PDX to Enfield and had some terrific Community Development meetings with the team. Lots of good things happening!

As I mentioned in my keynote, I’m very interested in “Activating the Sleepers” - those folks who just haven’t realized yet that they are AFOLs and there is an entire community out there waiting for them. From the keynote:

For 2004, I’ve dubbed it the year of activating the sleepers. We all hear stories all the time about LEGO builders who are fans but don’t realize it. People who buy sets, build creations, and even have national cable networks rebuild their LEGO themed rooms. But these folks often haven’t even had the synapses fire that make them wonder if there are others out there like them. I call them the sleepers.

So how do we draw them into the community? How do we pull over these energetic new faces?

One idea is to use this comic as a “recruiting” tool. > I’ve posted this draft to get your feedback. We’d love to hear your thoughts on the comics, or ideas for strips we may have missed. What other types of information can we put in along with the comics to help pull in the “Sleepers”?

And the idea - is it a good one? Do you see yourself using this?

I’m looking forward to hearing your comments!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison (and aspiring comic writer)
LEGO Community Development Team

Jake, I’m glad you posted the link and I found the comic book very interesting and will comment more on it later. Your post did remind me of something I wanted to mention sooner.

Each time I’ve gone into either the Palisades or Paramus stores, the last time being a few days ago, I overhear quite a few “Sleepers” who obviously do not realize the abundant resources available to them if they were activated. ;)

In all honesty, I’ve overheard these unfortunate lost builders mumbling to themselves or companions alot more in the Palisades store then the Paramus store. IMHO, this is because Eric is usually in the Paramus store when I’m there and I’ve never seen a “Sleeper” leave without being actived by Eric. :)

What struck me as interesting was that there I was in a Lego store and yet, there was no information available related to any LUG groups or other resources for AFOLs. Naturally, being the quiet introvert I am, I spoke up. :P

However, as much as I’d love to, I don’t plan to spend everyday in a Lego store. So during my downtime, I was curious as to whether the Lego Community Development Team had any solid plans to increase awareness among these “Sleepers” in brand stores.

I know the Paramus store did have a Gardenslug display awhile ago but that is now gone and in place is Eric. :) As wonderful of a spokesman as he is, I thought an area of the store (small of course due to limited space in most of the stores) dedicated to some printed literature (thinking take home pamplhlet type thing promoting LUGNET, Peeron, Bricks On The Brain...etc.) for AFOLs to draw them out would be a nice addition.

These lost souls are out there just wandering about, lost, thinking they’re the only adults who like to build with their kid’s bricks. Hmmm...reminds me of Frosted Flakes and Tony the Tiger actually... Can’t something be done to save them?

So...are there any plans for the stores to be utilized more as a focal point for the AFOL community?

And yes, I personally would utilize the comic...except for one matter, I really do dislike even bringing this up, but.. the grey colour part of the comic. IMHO, if the purpose of the comic is to activate “sleepers”, these are people who are most likely unaware of the “color” ;) issue and this is only drawing it to their attention in what I think is not a positive way.

Not saying here that I don’t see the potential humor in that part but I doubt that most “sleepers” would get it if they haven’t been privy to the debates and it’s only calling attention to a debate they are most likely oblivous to.

Some may argue that they should be informed about it and I would agree, but not in this manner if the purpose of the comic is to draw them into the community.

Just my two cents. :)

Thanks,

Dawn