 LEGO Company / 1007
Re: AFOLs - The comic!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:10:50 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Matthew Miller wrote:
Steve Runnels <steve@livethenow.com> wrote:
Oh, give me a break. People taking this, or for that matter ANY, issue *so*
seriously is starting to make me rethink *my* wanting to be a part of this
HOBBY. This HOBBY with TOYS.

Well, sure -- that's exactly why it hits so hard. If something's just a
"day job", and some bureaucratic change causes disruption, one can easily
shrug and say, "oh well, it's not like it's anything that *matters*". But
seriously disrupt something into which one puts a huge amount of
extracurricular energy -- creative artistic endeavors, epic masterpieces,
or just little after-work toying around -- the effect goes deeper.

LEGO is a major matter to me. However, building with LEGO is all about the
limitations. If I was out to make the absolute best, most detailed, accurate
model of something, why not do it from scratch? Kit-bashing, soldering, etc...

So, now I just have another limitation with colors. So what if I have to make do
with the pieces I already have, or can get 2nd-hand in certain colors? There are
certain pieces I would love to have that either don't exist, are not made any
longer, or in the color I want. Oh well, that's part of the hobby!

I can see where your arguement is coming from, and certainly my opinion is my
opinion. But the fact is this is a hobby for all of us, excluding a few who make
they're living by it. And being a hobby it should all be fun. Short of LEGO
completely stopping production of LEGO bricks as we know them, I can't imagine
getting just *so* upset at anything like some people have been with the color
change.

--SteveR