 LEGO Company / 1014
Re: AFOLs - The comic!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 04:33:22 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Allister McLaren wrote:
   Like those Christian ‘comics’ with little morality plays and a sermon at the end? I don’t think I’d like that. A comic should be just that - comical. The effort should be put primarily into making it funny.

It serves little purpose if it’s just a funny joke. Comedy has been used quite effectively as a means for social, political, and religious commentary without having to get preachy about it.

   ps. If I understand it correctly, you define a ‘sleeper’ as someone who actively collects and builds with Lego, but hasn’t joined the community yet. Yes?

Jake may have other ideas, but I’d define a sleeper as someone who covertly collects and builds and who isn’t aware that there even is a community to join. This is the group that this comic is best suited for, I’d think. They deserve to at least know they aren’t alone, even if they don’t feel like actively participating in the community. Noone should have to feel guilty about enjoying this hobby. Speaking as someone who used to have to sneak out of the house to get my LEGO fix when I was in high school, I can tell you quite frankly that it’s not a good feeling.

   What about those people, and I think they make up a far greater number of people, that are currently in their ‘dark ages’ but don’t know it? Those people that played with Lego as kids, but put it aside in their early teens. It seems that the majority of lugnetters went through some sort of ‘dark age’, so by extrapolation they are a much greater potential market than these ‘sleepers’.

Possibly, but if they’re in their dark ages, they’re less likely to pay attention to something like this than a closet-builder.