 LEGO Company / 1021
Re: AFOLs - The comic!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:32:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Jim Green wrote:

   Well, the idea was in the same vein as that old adage... “Those who laugh together, stay together” I figured if I could get my colleagues laughing about these issues, they would stick in their minds a little more. Greg and I also tried very very hard to create humorous, but descriptive ways to get certain points across.

Yes, laughing does foster fondness and I genuinely applaud your efforts---the comic is good work and the folks here really are enjoying it with enthusiasm. Yet, not that I disagree with your communicated purpose or greater hope, but I feel that maybe laughing at AFOLs isn’t especially appropriate at this specific time for the company

Laughing at and laughing with are much different things.

   ... when the community is communicating a feeling of betrayal over color changes and at seeming attempts to create division (by endorsing of a non-existent fan site).

I guess, you could interpret the “AFOLnet” callout this way, but honestly, that thought had never crossed my mind until I just read it here. As mentioned elsewhere, the point of using AFOLnet was to not use LUGNET. I was trying to show that the fan community is large and vast, and there are sites out here other than LUGNET. This is no reflection on LUGNET at all, I love LUGNET. It was a tactic to get people to think things other than AFOLs = LUGNET.

   These specific concerns are threaded elsewhere---it’s not my wish to pursue them here. Nonetheless, it just doesn’t seem in good taste that our issues would be made known by means of a comic. We can laugh at ourselves but AFOLs are not funny monkeys.

I’ve been amazed as I come out of my “comic dark age” to learn what a comic has become. People like Greg have elevated what was previously a slapstick humor delivery mechanism to a true art and communication form. I read two books last year by Scott McCloud that talked about the depth of the comic form... in comic form. It was brilliant. I’ve seen a number of presentations by former Web co-workers in the last year that have used comics and comic illustration to help show clients the Web development process flow. One of the best Web Usability books I’ve ever read makes ample use of comic illustration to keep a dry subject entertaining.

Just because it is a comic doesn’t mean I turned AFOLs into “funny monkeys”.

   But to a greater point... Jake, you were one of “us” and may well understand our motivations. It is our best hope that this is the case now that you have crossed the line and are with The Lego Company. And that you are specifically charged to foster communication between AFOLs and Lego, there is a trust that you will go to bat for us and communicate our passion for this hobby... as I know you must. It may as well be an understatement.

Well, first off, I’m still a fan, much to my wife’s chagrin... she wants the LEGO room back for a guest room. :)

But yes, that’s my task. I’ve been doing this since I started with LEGO 3.5 years ago. In the last year +, I’ve been able to focus 100% on exactly what you describe. And as I mentioned in my keynote, there’ll be hits and misses along the way. So long as there are more hits than misses, we’re doing good.

   I just find it strange that you would choose to communicate within the company in this way, with a joke book, to folks who may not know exactly the mind of the AFOL or who see us as a curiosity. Maybe the idea just needs better clarification, but right now the method gives me less confidence about what you convey to your colleagues about AFOLs in general.

But this goes back to trust. You’ve got to trust that I know your needs and desires and issues. You’ve got to trust that I’m finding the best way to communicate that need. I fight for some AFOL-related issues, literally every day I come into the office. Every day. Often multiple issues. Now believe me, I’m all over anything that reduces the amount of friction on a given subject.

The comic did more to get people to understand and recognize the issue than any document or powerpoint could have ever done.

   AFOLs are, for better or worse, somewhat eccentric - just like all enthusiasts of any subject (As I often say: “everyone has their hobby/weirdness”). The original task for this piece was to show that while it may be unknown, it’s not strange, it just “is”.

Is this really a new concept for Lego? To think, they would at least know us by now. Maybe they don’t care who we are?... we are after all just a footnote in their strategy. Will a comic fix that?

They do know who you are, they know you’re out there, but they’re not exactly sure why, or what they can do to help. As our efforts to promote internally increase and sink in, they become more and more impressed. Sure they care. They care big, and more now than ever before. You were barely a blip on the radar a few short years ago, and are now a (big) footnote. My task is to make sure that we continue to grow that even bigger.

Will a comic alone “fix” that? No. But like any change, you have to use all the tools in your toolbox. The comic is a very very good tool for the task.

   It strikes me funny that we are this untapped marketing powerhouse that they occasionally look askance at. This is something I know you can’t answer (though ex-employees maybe can), but who are we to Lego, really?

How do colleagues view thee... good question. In years past, they haven’t thought much one way or the other. One of the biggest reasons LEGO Direct was formed was to start to create a culture of consumer awareness, understanding, and interaction. That includes the AFOLs as well as the kids.

But overall, mindsets have changed more than you can imagine in that 4 years. To colleagues (after all, we’re not talking about a “big company”, we’re really talking about a large group of people), you are an intriguing audience, a barely tapped marketing powerhouse. They know you are incredible brand evangelists, but aren’t quite sure how to work with you, how to address your needs, or if you even want a relationship to exist. That’s where I come in. I’m working hard to carry the messages from the AFOLs to the company. And vice versa for that matter.

What’s terrific is that after 3+ years of carrying that message, we’ve clearly passed a Tipping Point. The enthusiasm to talk, work with, and engage the AFOLs is now higher than it’s ever been. (Please don’t let the color change issue completely wipe out that progress in your minds)

   Jake, no need to justify, you are a die-hard AFOL, and I apologize that how I may be communicating is leaning near being personal for you. Please know I would never insult you, Lego brother, but I just don’t trust your employer and you are in a crucial position. We count on you and want you to do a good job... for us. You have the unenviable position of having thousands of backseat drivers watching your every move. Tree!

Nah, no worries. I’ve got an uber-thick skin, and I’m man enough to accept help and feedback when given! It takes a lot to insult me! (Derek, your feeble attempts to bring my Mom into the mix were unsuccessful)

:)

I hate to keep mentioning this, but much of this comes down to trust. You have to trust the guy driving the car, and he has to listen to the info coming in from the backseat.

   Not sure that I did a very good job explaining originally. The comic will have to be tweaked to make it work for the new audience (sleepers) rather than the original audience (LEGO colleagues). My colleagues got most of the inside jokes, but like you mention, it might not be the right mix for the general public. There have been a TON of terrific ideas posted in this thread already to help tweak the content for this purpose.

I would work on that.

Absolutely! That’s a big part of what this thread is all about. I was hoping to get ideas for new strips and content like the ones that have come in already. After all, I’m a fan, but not the only fan with ideas about how to tell the world about our rockin hobby!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison