 LEGO Company / 1010
Re: AFOLs - The comic!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:31:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

As I mentioned in my keynote, I’m very interested in “Activating the Sleepers” - those folks who just haven’t realized yet that they are AFOLs and there is an entire community out there waiting for them. From the keynote:

So how do we draw them into the community? How do we pull over these energetic new faces?

One idea is to use this comic as a “recruiting” tool.

Like those Christian ‘comics’ with little morality plays and a sermon at the end? I don’t think I’d like that. A comic should be just that - comical. The effort should be put primarily into making it funny.

   Many many thanks to Greg. He’s an incredible artist and a hilarious writer. Take a minute to tell him how cool he is!

Hey greg. You’re cool.

   I’ve posted this draft to get your feedback. We’d love to hear your thoughts on the comics, or ideas for strips we may have missed. What other types of information can we put in along with the comics to help pull in the “Sleepers”?

And the idea - is it a good one? Do you see yourself using this?

I’m looking forward to hearing your comments!

I liked it. It was mostly funny, and caught the flavour of the AFOL nicely. It makes a few stabs, but always in an affectionate way that allows us to laugh at our own quirks. There’s enough there that one of these ‘sleepers’ might identify with, but with enough inside jokes to keep the afols reading.

I think the inside jokes should stay. Without them it wouldn’t capture the feel of the afol community nearly as well. If you think it might be too obscure, simply put a URL to the relevant thread on lugnet in one corner of the comic.

As to how I’d ‘use’ it - I’d read it for my own enjoyment, and maybe give it to other afols for theirs. I wouldn’t ever use it as a ‘recruitment tool’ because I’m not an evangelist. If someone expresses an interest in my hobby and asks, I simply point them at lugnet and brickshelf and let them find out the rest themselves if they want to - if they don’t it’s no skin off my nose.

So, the comic is great, and I’d love to see it succeed, but please leave any propaganda out of it. I think that the formula in the pages you presented is spot on, and thankfully free of any ‘message’ other than ‘aren’t we funny’.

I’d also like to see it as a web comic. If it comes out in print only, chances are no-one outside of the USA will ever see it, and that would be disappointing.

Cheers,

Allister

ps. If I understand it correctly, you define a ‘sleeper’ as someone who actively collects and builds with Lego, but hasn’t joined the community yet. Yes?

What about those people, and I think they make up a far greater number of people, that are currently in their ‘dark ages’ but don’t know it? Those people that played with Lego as kids, but put it aside in their early teens. It seems that the majority of lugnetters went through some sort of ‘dark age’, so by extrapolation they are a much greater potential market than these ‘sleepers’.

So how do you draw people out of their dark ages? Well, here at lugnet you’ve got the perfect sample pool. What was it, fellow lugnetters, that brought you out of your dark ages? Surely there’s some sort of pattern to it.