 General / 51366
Re: The LEGO Revival Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 02:38:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dan Thompson wrote:
Why do LEGO toys have value to you?

They are a great way to express my imagination.  The elements can be
used over and over again for different things.

What makes LEGO brand construction toys worth your money?

The high quality of the bricks, and the interconnectivity.  LEGO pieces
from my childhood (mid 70s) work with what I can buy off the shelf from
my local store (ignoring colour issues).  The different pieces are so
well thought out they connect with other pieces in ways I'm still
discovering.

In what way has the LEGO brand let you down?

Quality does not seem to be as important as it was 15 years ago.  The
printing on minifigs has become more complex, but is frequently smudged,
or at least one colour is off.

The change in greys and brown.  Makes the company look like a cheep
knockoff unless you know the colour change was intentional.

A few years ago LEGO changed the design of the tubs and buckets.  The
tubs in particular are less useful to me now, but more importantly they
are now made of a much softer plastic.  This continues to out-gas for
years, emitting chemicals that are harmful to me in particular (I am
very sensitive to these fumes), and to a less extent to the kids who use
them to store their bricks.

I think you have let yourself down by stressing the finished model
rather than the building (and the different things to do with any set).
I have talked to parents who feel that after a couple of pieces from a
particular set are lost, the entire set can't be used.

Recently, how has the LEGO brand improved?

The creator/inventor sets are wonderful, a step back towards the
imagination of LEGO.  The x-pods are great for a travelling kit, and
small enough that they are an easy impulse purchase.  I loved the
'spring-cleaning' buckets/tubs.  They allowed LEGO to get money for
pieces otherwise not used, and were a great treat for AFOLs.

I'm so glad that LEGO has recognized in whatever way, and helped support
AFOL groups that do displays (Event kits, catalogues).

Pick-A-Brick sounds like a wonderful concept, but living in an
out-of-the-way corner I don't expect to ever see one in person.

What would you like to see LEGO (re)introduce in the next three years?

Small sets, like polybags.  Gives kids something they can buy every time
they go into a store.

Idea books.  I realize with the limited time any set is available this
has become more difficult.  You could mainly have ideas that use basic
type bricks (like creator sets), or from longer running themes (SW,
Harry Potter).  I would love to have something that makes kids go
"Wow!".  They may not have the bricks to build that thing, but it might
get them to building something other than just the models in their
sets.  If you can't do that, then maybe have background pictures in your
catalogues like this.  Years ago you used to have scenes of different
sets together in your in-box catalogues, with other pieces too.  My
favourite was page 14-15 of the Canadian in-box catalogue from 1994
(997918/998018-CA), showing the firemen on the ladder truck (6340)
rescuing people from a burning building while the police (6348) kept the
crowd at bay.

More train goodies, like a DCC system or different track geometry.

And for a totally pie in the sky wish - Monorails.  They are a huge hit
at any train show where we use them.

What does LEGO need to do to sell more products for less cost to them?

Reduce the number of colours they use.

Clearly label the grey and brown bulk bricks on the website and
catalogues.  If I'm not 100% sure if the bricks are old or new colours,
I'm not going to order them.

Find a way to get product to small hobby and train stores, so that they
can sell it at train shows.  Many kids leave a show after seeing a LEGO
train club on display wanting to go buy LEGO trains.  If we could point
them to the table over in the corner, the parents would have no hope :).

What reason(s) do you have for not buying new LEGO sets?

The colour change of greys and brown bothers me.  I am uninclined to buy
set with predominately these colours, and I'm certainly not buying
multiples.

Sometimes I can't find sets I want in local stores.  The turnover of
themes is so high, if I don't buy some sets when I first see them
(unlikely for me at full retail), I won't see them again.  I imagine it
makes it difficult for kids to save up for a big set if it is gone by
the time they have the money.

What would it take for you to spend more money on new LEGO products versus
buying sets/parts on the second hand markets?

Ideally change the colours (greys and brown) back.

More train stuff, fewer large, specialized elements that could be made
by a combination of basic bricks.

What will it take for LEGO to remain the best construction toy for all ages and
be a profitable company?

Stop trying to do everything (video games, clothing etc.) and get back
to the basics of building.

What are your home country, first name and age?

Canada, Gail, 38

Is there anything you would like to say with this last question that you feel
someone at LEGO should not go without reading?

We AFOLs are a resource.  Please use us.  We are a worldwide focus group
that you can have for free.  We influence other customers every time we
enter a LEGO aisle in a store and talk to other shoppers, or put on a
display.