 General / 51101
Re: The LEGO Revival Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:06:20 GMT

Why do LEGO toys have value to you?

Lego is the single best "toy" on the planet, no exceptions.  The creative
possibilities that lie within even the smallest of sets are limited only by
the imagination.  These possibilities are always so exciting and inspiring
that it's often difficult to decide what to build first!

What makes LEGO brand construction toys worth your money?

Out of all the construction bricks on the market, the quality and
consistency of every piece in every Lego set is the best.

In what way has the LEGO brand let you down?

Lego has not "let me down."  For myself, I believe it is childish and silly
to take any changes that are not to my liking as a personal affront.  That
is a waste of energy.  Initially I was quite upset about the color change,
and said or posted some things in haste and anger which I regret.  Hindsight
has made clear to me that my hobby of choice is essentially the same.  The
joy I get out of it is entirely up to me.

Recently, how has the LEGO brand improved?

Two things spring to mind immediately; the Designer sets and the growing
communication and projects that have begun with the adult community.  The
Designer sets are a superb return to the foundation of the appeal of the
Lego brand; building something and then rebuilding it into something else.
The development of a more intimate dialogue with the adult community can
hopefully ensure that more products like the Designer sets find their way to
store shelves.

What would you like to see LEGO (re)introduce in the next three years?

Restore the old gray, dark gray and brown colors.  This one thing would do
more to restore my faith in the company than anything else.  For me, one of
the single greatest appeals of the Lego brand is backwards compatibility (in
my definition this applies to color as well as form) and bringing back the
original colors would signify to me that the Lego company will remember and
honor its illustrious (and profitable!) history in attempting to be
successfull in the future.

What does LEGO need to do to sell more products for less cost to them?

Difficult question!  Simplify the packaging.  In my opinion, themes like
Alpha Team have been overpackaged.  The lenticular panels on the front cover
and the little magazines inside are wasteful and unnecessary.  A childs
imagination is fertile enough with a few bricks in hand.  They don't need
some silly comic to tell them how to play with their toys.  Cutting the
costs of packaging could result in more bricks for less money, which leads
to the next question.

What reason(s) do you have for not buying new LEGO sets?

The expense for the amount of bricks purchased is too high in many cases.
The boxes are much larger than necessary, giving a false impression of the
value and quantity of the product.  Many new boxes on the store shelves seem
half empty once opened, even though all the pieces are there.  It bugs me
when I can hear the bags sloshing around inside the box as if some of them
are missing.

What would it take for you to spend more money on new LEGO products versus
buying sets/parts on the second hand markets?

Other than changing the colors back, apply the Designer principle to every
product line.  Lego sets are not toys to be constructed and then left
static.  They are meant to be rebuilt and rebuilt again.  All sets should be
designed and marketed with this principle in mind.  It is one of the core
appeals of the product and one of the main reasons we as adults are still
"playing" with them!

What will it take for LEGO to remain the best construction toy for all • ages and
be a profitable company?

Stop trying to compete with video games, power rangers, and other fads that
will soon be forgotten.  Lego is unique in the toy universe, and they need
to focus on and capitalize on that.  Fads fade, bricks do not (unless left
in the sun!).

What are your home country, first name and age?

United Stated, David, aged 35 (going on 9)

Is there anything you would like to say with this last question that you • feel
someone at LEGO should not go without reading?

Change the colors back.

Give the population of Lego Town more to do than lock up prisoners, put out
fires, and rescue those in danger.  Is there no rest in Lego Town?  Is the
population made up completely of criminals, pyromaniacs, and accident-prone
idiots?  How about a Farmer's Market, or a County Fair, or a Zoo, or an
Amusement Park, or a Vacation Resort, or a Cruise Ship, or a Luxury
Airliner, or a Victorian mansion, or a Farm?  Solicit ideas for future
themes and sets (such as these!) from your consumers (children as well as
adults).  Let them tell you what they'll spend their money on instead of
guessing or listening to market analysts (who in all likelyhood don't have
Lego of their own?).

Keep the licensing to a minimum.  Lego sells itself.  Always has, always
should.