 General / 51364
Re: The LEGO Revival Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:41:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Ah, what the heck.  Here goes:

Why do LEGO toys have value to you?

The ability to express myself creatively.  Relaxation.

What makes LEGO brand construction toys worth your money?

The quality of the bricks and piece compatibility across themes.  My bricks from
30 years ago still interact with my new bricks today.

In what way has the LEGO brand let you down?

In many ways I believe the company has lost confidence in the imaginations of
children today.  I feel the company's focus has gone from "just imagine ..." to
"play on!".  Set 7241, Fire Car, actually says "Designed for easy building and
instant play" on the box!  Forgive my misunderstanding, but I thought that when
I bought the world's premiere construction toy, the building WAS the play.  If I
wanted a toy truck, I'd buy a toy truck.  I think this change in emphasis leads
to several negatives:
1. Pre-set story lines, whether from a licensed theme like Star Wars or Harry
Potter, or company-constructed story lines like KKII or Bionicle, discourage
children from coming up with their own imagined plots.
2.  There is a high emphasis on "action" in sets.  To take my favorite theme,
castle, civilian sets like the guarded inn are a thing of the past, because
every set has to feature conflict.  Again, rather than encouraging creativity,
this actually limits play, because everything comes down to a pre-imposed
dichotomy of the good guys against the bad guy.
3.  Too many things like hockey, soccer, basketball, and video games, rather
than actual building sets.
4.  Overreliance on highly speciallized (juniorized) parts.

Recently, how has the LEGO brand improved?

There are currents in the company that run counter to the above, like the
Designer line, the MOC sets, and the new LEGO Factory.

What would you like to see LEGO (re)introduce in the next three years?

Sets without pre-imposed story lines or good guy/bad guy conflicts.  For
example, in the Castle theme, an actual walled town with a combination of
military and civilian sets.  Look at the wide variety of things Playmobile does,
for example.

What does LEGO need to do to sell more products for less cost to them?

NA

What reason(s) do you have for not buying new LEGO sets?

I very rarely build the actual "official" set designs, so I buy sets more for
what pieces or minifigs they can add to my collection.  My collection is getting
to the point where it's pretty big, and so often I will decide to just turn to
Bricklink for the fig or unique element that I wanted.

What would it take for you to spend more money on new LEGO products versus
buying sets/parts on the second hand markets?

Really compelling set designs still draw me in.  Sets that have a high
percentage of basic bricks, plates, and slopes rather than things like pre-fab
walls or whatever tend to draw me in.  Of course pricing is always a factor.
There is also the issue of gray versus new gray, but I reallize that the company
has already heard all of our comments loud and clear by now.

What will it take for LEGO to remain the best construction toy for all ages and
be a profitable company?

NA

What are your home country, first name and age?

USA, Bruce, 36

Is there anything you would like to say with this last question that you feel
someone at LEGO should not go without reading?

There have been rumors of troubled times at both Brickshelf and Lugnet.  The
company should know how much these resources are a boon to them and should try
and find new ways to support them.

Bruce