 General / 51135
Re: The LEGO Revival Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:36:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dan Thompson wrote:
LEGO is a changing company that many think is not what it should be or what it
used to be.  The best quality construction toys are made by LEGO.  The current
customer relationship between LEGO and the people who enjoy the toys they make
is the best it has ever been.  Yet, to many it seems something is still lacking.
People who years ago bought LEGO products now think twice before buying a new
set.  The secondary LEGO market is growing and getting more and more business
from LEGO itself.  What has caused this change?

Many people think LEGO needs a change.  A return if you will to what made LEGO
so great in years past.  LEGO is an enjoyable, quality made toy that many people
regardless of age enjoy.  So many of us want to see LEGO a prosperous company
making a product everyone from children to grandparents will buy and enjoy for
years to come.  The whole reason for this survey is to get you to provide
answers to some simple questions.  When the answers are complied we will submit
them to LEGO for consideration.

Please respect the purpose of this survey and do not go off topic, have any
discussion or make any comments on others ideas or desires for LEGO. Please only
post your answers after some thought and be as precise and as brief as you can
be so that everyone's voice can be heard. If someone worded their answer exactly
as you would like to please feel free to copy it and use it as your answer as
well.  Be very honest with your answers but avoid strong negativity, insults or
improper language. If you have no answer or do not wish to answer a question
please list N/A.

Why do LEGO toys have value to you?
I think they are fun and relaxing.  I enjoy putting the sets together because it
makes me feel more like a kidd.

What makes LEGO brand construction toys worth your money? • The quality and innovation.

In what way has the LEGO brand let you down?
I wouldn't say let down, but quality has slipped, set design isn't as original,
and there are less "mechanical" sets>
Recently, how has the LEGO brand improved?
I think they have identified certain problems, and have tried to release more
sets similar to those of years past
What would you like to see LEGO (re)introduce in the next three years?
Additional train components, more UCS type models (even other than star wars)
and more technic type models (complex ones)

What does LEGO need to do to sell more products for less cost to them?
They should release accessory packs and add ons for product lines at lower costs
for people to buy.  You could release army packs for castle or space man packs
for space
What reason(s) do you have for not buying new LEGO sets? • I want to, but not enough money to do so

What would it take for you to spend more money on new LEGO products versus
buying sets/parts on the second hand markets? • Release more appealing sets (appealing is differnt to everyone)
What will it take for LEGO to remain the best construction toy for all ages and
be a profitable company? • Improve design, improve accessories, release new mindstorms
What are your home country, first name and age? • USA, Jamie, 30
Is there anything you would like to say with this last question that you feel
someone at LEGO should not go without reading?
No one can predict the future, but we can learn from the past.  Things didn't
sell well initially (monorail, etc) but are EXTREMELY popular now.  Look at why
that happened and see if you can replicate it.

Thank you in advance for all the answers you will give. If we take this
seriously and present it with a determination to be a help to TLG, then I
believe LEGO will both appreciate it and look through it honesty, considering
our ideas.

Admins please help keep this thread clutter free and productive. This survey
will run from now until August 1st. I will be creating an excel file with
peoples answers and will have it completed in August, at which time we turn it
over to someone at LEGO.

If you are a member of another forum please pass an invite to those members to
answer this survey also.

Thank you everyone who has participated. Please remember this thread is for
answers to the questions and not comments about the questions, others answers or
anything else. If you want to discuss these things please start a different
topic or discuss them elsewhere. I would like to have everyone participate if
possible. I will do my best at getting these answers compiled and easy to read
for everyone and get delivered to. Again, thank you for your help and opinions.

If you sit back and say nothing you will have no chance to change it later. If
you stand up for what you think and present your opinions politely people will
at least listen and may be affected to change.

To the LEGO revival!