 General / 51330
Re: The LEGO Revival Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:54:33 GMT

I didn't originally reply to this because I prefer automated surveys, but since you
need more input...

Dan Thompson wrote:

Why do LEGO toys have value to you?

Bottom line - they're fun.  They can be used to create just about anything, and you
aren't limited to just what the instruction show.

What makes LEGO brand construction toys worth your money?

The quality (though it seems to be slipping lately).  And the sheer bulk of my
current collection would make it hard to switch to anything else ;-)

In what way has the LEGO brand let you down?

Colors.  The 2 shades of purple in the Knight's Bus seriously rankles me.
Colors - BRING BACK the old greys and brown!  In addition to the new if needed, but
bring them back!

Recently, how has the LEGO brand improved?

It hasn't, in my eyes.  Quality on the castings seems a bit worse.  And I buy almost
nothing new anymore due to the new greys/brown.  What I do buy gets parted out on BL
to get rid of those danged greys/brown.

What would you like to see LEGO (re)introduce in the next three years?

Need I say it?  The old greys and brown.
I'd like to see more Model Team sets.  More Mindstorms accessories.  A more powerful
RCX.  DCC for train.  More track geometries.

What does LEGO need to do to sell more products for less cost to them?

Less Licensed product.  Smaller boxes.  It irks me that the boxes are over 50% air.
I can often compact 5 sets into 1 box.

What reason(s) do you have for not buying new LEGO sets?

New greys/brown.  It's really the only reason I went from $1-3000/mo to $20 or
so/mo.

What would it take for you to spend more money on new LEGO products versus
buying sets/parts on the second hand markets?

Bring back the old greys/brown.  Bring out more track geometries for train.

What will it take for LEGO to remain the best construction toy for all ages and
be a profitable company?

I'm not a Business grad, so can't really comment much.  I think they're on the right
track, EXCEPT for not bringing back the old greys/brown.

What are your home country, first name and age?

US, Tom, 38.

Is there anything you would like to say with this last question that you feel
someone at LEGO should not go without reading?

PLEASE bring back the old greys and brown!  The new brown just DOES NOT work for
vegetation.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/