 Space / 36513
Re: Jormungand Carrier Strike Craft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 02:18:44 GMT

In lugnet.space, Niels Bugge wrote: Speaking of nukes, what does Viking
   need those for? They have to be able to loot afterwards!

BTW I think the gun looks fine as it is: A bit cluncky like a tankbarrel, but perhaps you should add some smaller fast shooting guns: You have to spray a lot in dogfighting and don’t want to miss with the only shot of a big slow gun.

-NB.

Niels, did the discussion of Vikings attract you to this thread? Crazy Danes. :) Anyhow, as I love a good nitpick combined with technical discussions, I’ll provide the elemental reasons why the fighter ought to be equipped with nuclear-tipped missiles. Anything less energy-dense in the context of space combat is a waste, as space is far too large for anything less powerful to be even moderately lethal at realistic (IE: huge) ranges. Well, space fighters themselves would be useless for several reasons under the known laws physics, but we’ll leave that discussion for another day. At any rate, any nuclear weapons used in space would almost certainly be enhanced radiation bombs (“neutron” bombs, as the misnomer goes), as the manner of energy release in conventional nuclear weapons greatly limits their range. Furthermore, conventional nuclear weapons have been shown to be of minimal use against armored targets such as battleships and tanks, and as such wouldn’t fair well against massively protected spacecraft. Enhanced radiation devices were initially developed for use in the nuclear anti ballistic missile systems, as conventional (nuclear) weapons without an atmosphere to propogate their energy would have a difficult time destroying incoming warheads and missiles. Enhanced radiation weapons emit their energy in a spectrum much more applicable to use in space and against armored targets.. I think that was slightly rambling and completely tangential, but it is somewhat applicable to the original issue. :p

As for the gun, dogfights wouldn’t realistically occur in space, so any discussion of gun design as related to realism is already baseless conjecture..