 Space / 36654
Re: Combat strategies and tactics in space. Was: Jormungand Carrier Strike Craft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:20:15 GMT

The Wing Commander reference had nothing to do with physics. In reality, space
is huge. To choose where a fleet of invading ships is going to drop out of FTL
would be next to impossible without good intel or really really good sensors.
But before we can even address this, we would need to agree upon the sensors
being used. The Wing Commander reference was just a way of visually explaining
how and why.

I was using "wait" to mean that they were prepared to fight you and as such in
the most easily defensible formation possible. I know that nothing in space is
static, or not moving, but the ships will be in the same general vicinity of one
another not spread out over thousands of kilometres. The defenders will have to
send out a defense fleet to oppose the offending fleet. This Defense Fleet will
not get to choose when the battle occurs unless they know where the offending
fleet is launching from and can stop them from launching.

A picket fleet is nothing more than a defense fleet attempting to keep offending
fleets from getting to the place they are supposed to be protecting. Now should
a two-pronged attack occur, one offending fleet would be sent to the target
while another would be sent to the defense fleet. The defense fleet isn't going
to have its front to the planet they are protecting, assuming that the defense
fleet does not have omnidirectional ships.

If you look at the post previous to my previous post, you will see that I said
super high-temperature superconductor, meaning a superconductor that is designed
to handle intense heat like that of the core of the earth or a sun. I used
superconductive armor previously because it was easier than typing out super
high-temperature superconductive armor.

What I was saying is that you can't delay damage from kinetic weapons whereas
you can delay damage from heat weapons. Armor is meant only to extend the
usefulness of your ships whereas weapons are meant to lower the usefulness of
enemy ships. Heat weapons can be defeated by armor, kinetic weapons cannot.

Are you saying that I am not self-consistent? That I have not supported kinetic
weapons from the beginning, that I have not supported that open space battles
would not occur from the beginning because my previous posts have the same basic
messages just arrayed differently.

You seem to be getting caught up in semantics and not the actual debate.  Now I
apologize if I have been difficult for you to understand but you did not
actually contest any of what I said, just the way I said it.

\\//,DedmanWalkin