 Space / 36475
Re: Jormungand Carrier Strike Craft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:16:03 GMT

In lugnet.space, Peter Roberts wrote:
   The only problem is that Lego is built here on Earth, which has gravity (in case you hadn’t noticed), and you have to make sure your models are pretty strong and have a strong mount to have them mounted sideways on anything. This is especially true with a model this tall. Two technic pins will not work. You need a pretty complex mounting mechanism. I don’t mean to put you off, but mechanisms like these are quite hard to make, especially with the non-uniform shape of this craft. It’s not impossible, but you’ll have to think for a while to come up with a design.

Okay, think Crimson Skies and imagine the grapple or hook system you find in the blimps. Something along those lines might work. Do you remember the scene from “Aliens” with the dropship? Then a grapple system which captures the fighter and draws it up into the belly of the carrier might be interesting. Difficult, but interesting.

I imagined I would want a carrier like Dan Jassim’s but maybe a belly opening blimp-like carrier would work? If I could combine the B-Wing “whadya-call-it” gimble(?) system with a rotating cockpit..... Way out of my current league here. But worth exploring.

Confused but inspired - Chris.

P.S. Gravity sucks! :)