 Space / 36479
Re: Jormungand Carrier Strike Craft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:16:13 GMT

Hi Chris Keep the models flowing, they’re getting better and better! You have some nice details going on with this one, but there’s a couple of things that bothers me: First of all it seems awfully thin around the cockpit (the cockpit takes a big bite of the hull), making it look fragile. Secondly, I think the underside nebulon-b style fin is a bit too big compared to the rest, so I would suggest you take out the blank part above the nukes out (together with the brown slope). Alternatively you could change it into one of those 2 tall slopes, that came with the mini MTT (4491) and just take out 1 layer, they’ve just been on sale in BR but is sold out here in Copenhagen, but there might be some left over by you. Speaking of nukes, what does Viking need those for? They have to be able to loot afterwards!

About the rear part of the cockpit, I think the brown part behind the cockpit looks a bit too blank and flat, you might consider continuing the bubble around the cockpit backwards and add more detail there.

About landing bays I don’t think the craft seems particularly difficult, as you usually have to be able to get much bigger craft inside than fighters (shuttles, supply crafts, troop carriers and the like), and without wings, it seems really easy to stack sideways. But to stuff in as many as possible (space is always a problems on carriers), you should consider making the tail able to fold down behind the engine (a simple rotating construction would do the job).

But maybe I’m thinking too much SW-like: If you want the carrier to be dedicated to fighters only (and getting supplies in through outside airlocks), this fighter seems perfect for getting out through narrow grille like openings (gills), so if you put a couple of those on each side of the carrier, it could look really compact and sharklike. And combining this with a long slender oval hull would make it look very Viking-ship like.

BTW I think the gun looks fine as it is: A bit cluncky like a tankbarrel, but perhaps you should add some smaller fast shooting guns: You have to spray a lot in dogfighting and don’t want to miss with the only shot of a big slow gun.

-NB.