 Space / 36674
Re: Combat strategies and tactics in space. Was: Jormungand Carrier Strike Craft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:19:12 GMT

My main point is that the whole issue is rather difficult to debate unless the “rules” are well-defined, something that’s difficult to do (& I’ve not seen done yet in this thread). I’m the one who should probably be apologizing in any event - I’ve not had time to deeply read all the messages here yet (cardinal sin #1) and my viewpoint is probably significantly off from the mainstream (I teach physics, astronomy, and biophysiscs for a university).

Ok, then you would be most qualified to clear this up (if you’re willing anyway) Assuming ships have the insanely high fuel efficiency seen in most sci-fi, wouldn’t smaller ships (fighters) be more effective in actual combat senarios. Sure the capital ships would have better straight line acceleration but that would genrally constitute running away. Wouldn’t the lower mass of a fighter make it far more maneverable compared to a large ship. Also wouldn’t maneverability be more important in a combat situation that straigt line accelertion, unless you are trying to run away. The airplane physics of Star Wars not withstanding, in straight line flight Star Destroyers are shown as faster while in combat the smaller ships are shown as far more manuverable. In Babylon 5 the ‘flight’ physics are much more realistic but again the ships all have similar acceleration rates but the fighters are far more manuverable.

So what is your opinion on this?

-Mike Petrucelli