 Robotics / 21505
Re: More Speed? Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:42:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Chris Phillips wrote:

There are 230,400 square inches in a 1,600 sq-ft house.

I was using the chair leg as an example. I want to wander around ticking off
square inches as I encounter them as navigable or not.

Still, no one's been able to convince me that the RCX needs more speed or
memory.

I can see the desire to map a room, but given the building materials, I think
very few, if any, builders would be able to even build a LEGO robot that can
reliably and repeatability navigate around the a house.  Even with a map.

I'm sure John could make a GPS sensor that could tell the robot where it is in
the room, but it's still going to be hard to build the actual robot, given that
by the time you input X & Y coords, and the compass direction, your little robot
is out of room I/O for bump sensors...  :)

And video processing?  That's also going to require better/more sensor ports.

Maybe when the next new device comes out, with a ton of sensor ports, then there
will be a real need for a faster processor & more memory.

'Till then, I'm going back to work on my Connect-4 robot...

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-013104/lego-013104-rules.html

Steve

PS. John, please put me on the list for a GPS sensor  :)