 Robotics / 21495
Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:28:51 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   I’m giving a presentation about Mindstorms on Wednesday. I have a slide near the end that talks about all the stuff I know people want to see added.

Lots of interesting ideas in this thread!

But I feel the need to point out that the 3.0 has to still be ‘kid friendly’. The RCX is designed for ages 12 and up, the 3.0 should be in the same age range, otherwise Lego loses a huge part of their target market.

One idea I haven’t seen is non-volatile memory! I don’t want to have to keep reloading firmware and software every time I have to change batteries, or every time I pull out an RCX for a display. (Since I *of course* don’t store the RCXs with batteries installed...)

DCC? Nope, too small a target market. (And I’m a train guy...)

Faster processor and/or more memory? You bet!

A/C adaptor jack is a must.

I’d really like to see some sort of switch that allows an RCX to control a motor, but have the motor drawing power from something other than the RCX. (Electronics guy I’m NOT!) I could use something like this to control a train, have the RCX controlling a speed regulator that actually supplies the power. If the RCX could modulate the voltage, that would be even better.

I love the idea of a 9volt solenoid, there are bunches of places I could use a simple ‘push/pull’ movement!

Some sort of ‘bus’ technology - something better than IR - for chaining RCXs would be wicked cool. Again, I’m definitely NOT an electronics guy, so I have no idea what this would require...

JohnG, GMLTC