 Robotics / 21520
Re: More Speed? Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:49:02 GMT

"Steve Hassenplug" <Hassenplug@mail.com> writes:
So, please tell me what else the RCX needs and what other sensors would be
good to have. I'll still take mechanical improvements, too. Thanks.

As far as the RCX goes and in concert with most other
respondees, more resources are really what's needed. In
order of importance to me, I think I/O followed by memory
capacity followed by CPU speed would do it for me.

I can see the need for more I/O from the RCX, but I really
don't understand why everyone thinks it needs more memory
and CPU speed.

Lejos is notoriously short on memory, with a half decent communication
stack the RCX is full.  In general I'd say with more memory and speed
you can program more "high-level", and build more intelligent robots.

As for a new RCX version I'd say it certainly will have more computer
power because that is very cheap, but I doubt it will have more I/O,
at least if they stay compatible and don't introduce some I/O bus.
Maybe it will contain special machinery for navigation as that is
a major problem (see the Spybots for an example what I mean, with
a remote control as a kind of beacon).

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>