 Robotics / 21463
Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:26:18 GMT

"Jordan Bradford" <bradfj23REMOVE_THIS_SPAM_THINGY@uwosh.edu> wrote in
message news:HnsHtA.12z9@lugnet.com...
I'm giving a presentation about Mindstorms on Wednesday. I have a slide • near the
end that talks about all the stuff I know people want to see added. Here's • what
I have so far:

RCX
===

* RC communication (but keep the IR port, too)
* more I/O ports
* faster processor
* more memory
* bring back the AC adapter jack
* DCC for use with LEGO Train sets

New / Improved Sensors
======================

* more sensitive / better light sensor (can see color, not just light • intensity)
* more sensitive rotation / angle sensor (especially at very low  or very • high
  speeds)
* motion / distance / proximity sensor
* pressure sensor
* sound sensor
* magnetic sensor
* gyro or compass direction sensor

Mechanical Things
=================

* servo motor
* solenoid
* helical gear

What else do people want to see? Don't worry too much about mechanical • TECHNIC
stuff, like different gear sizes or gear blocks. For example, I'd like to • see
some helical gears created, but that's more of a mechanical issue than a
Mindstorms issue. I don't know what else people would want for robotics • besides
a servo motor and possibly a solenoid, anyway.

So, please tell me what else the RCX needs and what other sensors would be • good
to have. I'll still take mechanical improvements, too. Thanks.

I'd prefer a DC connection over AC. Maybe a connection that accepts both.
Most cheapo adapters you buy in electronics shops are DC. I've heard stories
about rectifier diodes burning when used with a DC adapter which is not the
kind of robust design I'd expect from Lego.

Communication with Micro Scouts. I've read horror stories about how to use
the P-program on the Micro Scout. Please make that easier.

Interfacing with pneumatics. I've no detailed ideas on how to implement
this, I'll leave that to the experts. What I mean is RCX controllable
pneumatic switches. The only way now is to use a motor, which is kind of
awkward.

Better speed control for motors. There's not much difference between the
possible speeds at the moment.

Overall the most important is more I/O.

Best of luck with your presentation!

Duq