 Robotics / 21475
Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:37:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Chris Magno wrote:

IM(very)HO, I've always felt a more distributed modular "brick" would be
the way to go, AND still follow the original design of the concept of
the core brick.

these guys are my inspiration:

http://www2.parc.com/spl/projects/modrobots/chain/polybot/g3.html

for a future RCX, some sort of standard "block" with on board smarts,
and enough power to run 2 motors, and 2 sensors.....

want more motors, (or memory, or I/O port) snap on more blocks.

I agree that a modular approach would be both more Lego-like and more userful.

Say a processor unit, a display unit, an input unit, a hub, and a memory unit
accepting CompactFlash cards.  Let everything run off standard Lego 9V, so you
could use a standard Lego battery box or train speed regulator instead of
needing a big, unwieldy unit with a battery compartment.  Connect everything
with standard Lego wires, but perhaps design modules frequently used together to
click together.  Voila.

TWS Garrison