 Robotics / 21490
Re: More Speed? Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:07:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
So, please tell me what else the RCX needs and what other sensors would be
good to have. I'll still take mechanical improvements, too. Thanks.

As far as the RCX goes and in concert with most other respondees, more
resources are really what's needed. In order of importance to me, I think
I/O followed by memory capacity followed by CPU speed would do it for me.

I can see the need for more I/O from the RCX, but I really don't understand
why everyone thinks it needs more memory and CPU speed.

I'm interested to hear about any projects that people have attempted which
required more of either.

I like using NQC because of the simplicity of downloading byte code based
programs onto the Lego firmware environment.

Using NQC, the CPU would need to be at least 10x to 100x faster to run the
kind of programs I would like to run at an adequate speed. Since there isn't
enough memory, I can't run them anyhow which is why I asked for more memory
and more speed.

This could be addressed on the existing hardware with a better programming
environment.  What I have in mind is a new NQC compiler that generates a
firmware file instead of a bytecode file.  So you would code in NQC (or
something like it) and get the speed, performance, and full memory range
available to BrickOS programmers.

I have been noodling around with something like this for the past few years, but
haven't quite gotten it together yet.  When I last put it down, I was at the
point where I needed to write a solid initialization library to call my main()
routine with the basic brick functionality up&running.  I already have a crude
C-like language compiler and an H8 assembler, all bundled up in a single 100K
command-line executable.  No fuss, no muss, just full access to the RCX and all
its 32K of memory.

I guess it's time for me to stop writing LUGNET posts and finish writing my
compiler!

- Chris.