 Robotics / 21511
Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:43:36 GMT

Here is the perfect idea:
Basicly, the new RCX comes with several components:
1.sensors, motors and so on as now (perhaps with some new ones)
2.a large "base unit" that would have a good CPU, communication with the
host PC for programming, LCD screen, some RAM and so on. This would also
feature e.g. bluetooth to talk to part 3 plus batteries and perhaps a
power-jack.
and 3.a small unit that basicly has a few input and a few output ports
(say, mabie 2 or 3 of each), a bluetooth chip and a cheap programmable
logic chip (or wahtever is needed) to couple the I/O ports to the bluetooth
(or other linking system) chip plus some batteries for power.
These I/O port blocks would have a means of setting themselves to one of
several different ID numbers (much like how one sets IDs on a SCSI bus of
anyone remembers those, perhaps a small knob or something)

The idea is that you put the sensors somewhere and plug them into an I/O
port block (for example, if you are building a walker, you could put one
block in each leg)
Then, you program the main base station with the main program and it would
talk to the I/O port blocks based on what their IDs are set to.
So, one would address it as "block 1, port 1" or whatever.
You want more I/O ports, just buy another I/O block.

The base unit could be made nice and sophisticated with LCD screen, decent
amount of ram, good CPU etc.