 Robotics / 21499
Re: More Speed? Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:46:27 GMT

I was using the chair leg as an example. I want to wander around ticking • off
square inches as I encounter them as navigable or not. I don't want to • spend my
life trying to develop fancy ways of representing inch square • "occupiedness" by
any means other than assign a byte to each square inch and encode in that • byte
what I know about that square inch. If I wanted to mess around with fancy
software algorithms to represent the connectedness of items I encounter, • then I
wouldn't even need Technic beams and motors. I could do the whole thing as • a
virtual robot in a virtual world entirely in my PC. But that is not where • my
interest lies. What I want is enough memory to do the software part of the • job
in the simplest way possible (from a software standpoint) so I can • concentrate
on other more mechanical and sensory related things. My chosen simple way • is to
assign each square inch to a byte. That is my choice and I think I have a • right
to make it. Steve asked why do you need more memory. I just wanted to give • one
example of someone wanting more memory and why. After all, it's not like • memory
is expensive these days!

JB

John and Chris:

If there are 8 bits in a byte, 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, and 32 kilobytes in
the RCX - then there are 262,144 bits of memory storage in the RCX (if my
math is right).  Could 1 bit = 1 square inch?  Could there be some software
implementation to store locations by bit or would that require 2 or more
bits (x,y coordinates)?

Rob

PS - I really like this sort of "wish list" speculation of the new hardware
for RCX 3, but If this product is due out next Christmas, don't you think
its already in testing - past R&D?  I'm sure there are people in the AFOL
group who already know what RCX 3 is going to be/include, but aren't and/or
can't say...