 Robotics / 21496
Re: More Speed? Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:15:21 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Chris Phillips wrote:

There are 230,400 square inches in a 1,600 sq-ft house.  But you are assuming
that you cannot somehow compress the information that you are trying to store.
How many chair legs are in your house?  Store the location and size of every
obstruction and you don't necessarily need to have one byte (or even one bit)
per square inch to completely map the place out.

I was using the chair leg as an example. I want to wander around ticking off
square inches as I encounter them as navigable or not. I don't want to spend my
life trying to develop fancy ways of representing inch square "occupiedness" by
any means other than assign a byte to each square inch and encode in that byte
what I know about that square inch. If I wanted to mess around with fancy
software algorithms to represent the connectedness of items I encounter, then I
wouldn't even need Technic beams and motors. I could do the whole thing as a
virtual robot in a virtual world entirely in my PC. But that is not where my
interest lies. What I want is enough memory to do the software part of the job
in the simplest way possible (from a software standpoint) so I can concentrate
on other more mechanical and sensory related things. My chosen simple way is to
assign each square inch to a byte. That is my choice and I think I have a right
to make it. Steve asked why do you need more memory. I just wanted to give one
example of someone wanting more memory and why. After all, it's not like memory
is expensive these days!

JB