 Robotics / 21522
Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 00:52:58 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ted Michon wrote:
* Flash memory (no more losing the firmware and programming when power is
  removed or batteries die)

The one thing I would say about this is that anyone who has ever tried to write
replacement firmware, or who has programmed in BrickOS/LegOS has encountered
situations where the RCX has become completely locked up due to a programming
error.  In these situations, the only way to get the brick back is to remove the
batteries and wait for the memory to get wiped out.  If a flash memory is added
to the next RCX, there MUST also be a way to reset the brick to factory new
condition so that it discards the current firmware and clears itself.  Otherwise
anybody who tries to push the envelope with the new brick will be risking
turning it into an expensive paperweight.

I actually think the battery-backed-up RAM in the current RCX is a very cool
design.  It not only stores programs when you shut off the RCX, but it also
allows the data log and other program data to be preserved when the RCX is
turned off.  Remember that flash memory is usually much slower to access than
regular static or dynamic RAM.

Again, not fighting progress, but just pointing out that some things aren't
always as cool in reality as they seem on paper.

By the way, it is very easy to replace the batteries without dumping the
contents of the RCX memory.  I usually replace the AA cells one-at-a-time,
waiting a few seconds before removing the next one.  Doing this, I have never
(unintentionally) lost the contents of my memory.

- Chris.