 Robotics / 21504
Re: More Speed? Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:29:35 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Rob Limbaugh" <RLimbaugh@greenfieldgroup.com> wrote:

Both methods have their place.  There are pro's and con's to each.

For John's purposes, his approach is quick, easy, and requires very
little programming to use.  That would leave him free to focus on other
programming he's more interested in.  The amount of memory needed to use
that approach would be one of the "cons".

The simplest compression method I could think of is simply storing the
coordinates of an obstacle.  But, this now requires additional math and
programming when accessing/updating the information, especially when
there is no longer an obstacle.  In John's method above, he could simply
toggle a bit (assuming each bit represented a square inch).

A computer screen is drawn the same way John is drawing his obstacle
map.

Again, there is nothing wrong with wanting more memory and a faster CPU on the
RCX.  And there is nothing wrong with John using any programming technique he
wants to in his robots.  And even if the RCX is capable of assigning one bit of
memory to every sq-in of floorspace, John might move into a bigger house
someday.

But the issue that is in danger of being trampled here is that many people tend
to underestimate the capabilities of the RCX that they already have.  More
horsepower is not always the answer, and sometimes we learn a lot more by
learning to accept some limitations and work around them than we do by just
throwing more hardware at the problem.

Steve originally asked what programming problems people had found that were
beyond the capabilities of the present-day RCX hardware, and I was merely trying
to point out that John's problem was not necessarily in that category.

- Chris.