 Robotics / 21540
Re: More Speed? Re: Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:51:06 GMT

In message:  <HnxMDq.G20@lugnet.com>
             "John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> writes:
In lugnet.robotics, "T. Alexander Popiel" <popiel@wolfskeep.com> wrote:
Superficially, that seems true... but it falls apart as soon as you
start dealing with dead-reconing errors.

Ah hah! And the reason I don't want to waste time and effort making my
memory map (excuse the pun) any harder to code than it has to be is
because I am busy building special sensors and other gizmos to solve
the short range navigation and location problem. That is where _my_
interest really lies - not fighting with limitations in the RCX.

OK, that's definitely a good reason to keep things simple.  I'm far
from convinced that _any_ sensor suite (advanced or not) will
completely fix the drift problem, but if the sensors themselves
return absolute coordinates (or even absolute distances to known
fixed points for triangulation) then you may well get accuracy to
within your 1" grid size without any gymnastics for dealing with
cumulative error... and it's largely those gymnastics which make
the grid cell approach a pain.

Of course, the real answer is to build a replacement RCX too, to go
along with these new sensors. What'd you reckon, 1Mb of RAM should be
enough for now :) Yeah and a 40 MHz CPU with gobs of I/O.

Heh.  There's lots of people who've gone that route.  We don't hear
much from them anymore, since once they've done that, it's a very
short step to non-lego robotics in general...

- Alex