 Robotics / 21541
Re: 4095 Record and Play
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:59:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes wrote:
I had to buy this set just to see.

Total disappointment :(

Nice idea, dreadful implementation.

The motor/battery box clearly tries to record the rotation of each of two wheels
in "record" mode, and I think it actually manages to do that part ok.

The sad bit is the designer didn't allow for the degree of motor speed control
necessary to "play back" the motion at the correct rotational speed. The result
is the motors run too fast, over shooting their required rate and angular
position and then simply stop to allow time to pass before racing ahead at full
speed to the next position. If you hang onto the wheels to reduce their speed,
you can tell it's trying to work correctly. I gave the device numerous tries
just in the case the designer had put in some kind of motor dynamics learn mode
to adjust for the motor's power/speed behaviour and the current state of the
batteries, but no luck. It works a little more smoothly on thick carpet, but
then the surface is so unpredictable, that you can barely discern that what it
is doing is related to the sequence you recorded.

The only upside is that the set has studded Technic beams and they’re green! (I
happen to like green beams.)

The other interesting thing is the two small transparent right angle gear boxes
– obviously part of the same design series as the 4094 gear boxes. The shaft
connections on the motor/batterybox unit itself also conform to this new style
of “modular” gear box mechanics. As I have speculated previously, I wonder if
this system of modular motors and gear boxes is a glimpse of the future for
TLC’s electromechanical parts. I certainly hope RIS 3.0 isn't a just a
super-programmable motor/batterybox!

Overall;

I was bummed when I bought that Spybotics set a little over a year ago. Wasn't
what I expected but at least it worked as intended. This gizmo doesn't even work
properly, at least not to my expectations of Record and Play.

A definite thumbs down unless you want some pricey green beams :(

JB

I couldn't agree more.  I was ecstatic when I saw this at the local TRU, so I
bought one.  Probably bought the FIRST one.  The "programmable" brick did
NOTHING like I had recorded it to do - time after time.  Went too fast, didn't
rotate to the proper angle, didn't go the right distances.  I am definitely not
going to recommend this set to fellow AFOL's.  IT may be fun for the actual
target audience though.  Now mine sits on a shelf collecting dust.  I do like
the gearbox piece ideas, but have not even touched them (or the ones in Motor
Movers) for fear of getting lubricant on the rest of my collection..

Take John's advice (and mine).  Don't buy this set for what it was intended to
do.  Buy this set if you need/want some of the parts it contains.  Now it gets
Barnes and Hendrix two thumbs down.

Rob "mod-boy" Hendrix
http://www.brickmodder.net