 Robotics / 21571
Re: Motor Power
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:30:52 GMT

Gahlord Dewald wrote:

The purpose is to build a rudimentary motion-control system for doing stop
motion animation pans/trucks. Ideally I'd program in the camera movement and
then have the robot execute the steps one at a time (basically send a "do next
operation" movement). But before I get into all that I figured I should find out
of the legos have the power needed to move the mass.

Any advice tips etc are greatly appreciated.

    I've built a rudimentary motion control system with Mindstorms, but
as the motors are not really steppers,  I found I had some precision
issues. Pulsing and timing never really got close enough for a
repeatable move.  You can use rotation sensors as well, and since your
doing stop motion, I'm assuming speed is not of the essence. You may be
able to get close enough to what you need to do by moving very slowly
and feeding back a lot of information. If you're not really a purist and
don't ming adding some non Lego stepper motors, then you'll have an
easier time.

--
Dan Novy
Technical Supervisor