 Robotics / 21572
Re: Motor Power
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 01:11:31 GMT

    One of the most import parts of a moco system is how much space the
camera needs to cover.  They can range from just pan and tilt, commonly
called a "hothead" which will either record or playback only rotational
data (HPB), all the way up to systems on tracks to handle translational
data (XYZ).  Sometimes a boom arm can get thrown in there just to really
complicate things.
    Once you post your project, I'll have a better idea.  You won't need
to be too precise if you you're only going to playback the movement
once, but if you need to do multi-pass mo-co and have all your elements
line up (like for a compositing package) or to match move for a 3D
package, then definitely hit a science surplus for some steppers and
controller board.  www.hobbycnc.com  is a great place to start to get
into CNC/moco.

    My next attempt at a lego mo-co system will incorporate steppers
from old 5 1/4 inch floppy drives, as they can be run from the RCX
voltage safely.

--
Dan Novy
Technical Supervisor