Re: "Was it worth it to you?" was Re: Cost of Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:53:30 GMT

Stephen F Roberts wrote:

...A 'variation' on that question is 'did you get your money's worth?" And I want honesty
from people here! Course, the fest itself was free, but things like airfare and hotel

It was great! I'd pay twice as much to get in next time! (har!)
Seriously, you folks did a wonderful job. I've been to paid events that didn't give attendees
half of what you provided. I also think an attitude of "let's all play and we'll deal with the
problems" really helped and I saw many people adopting it. Rules (like the Pirate Game's) are
made to be stretched, broken, or ignored as we see fit...

...relatedly, knowing what you know now, how much would you have been happy to pay to get
in?

$20-30. Especially (as many have proposed here already) if we get a better venue with working
AC and room to spread out. And I thought everybody (not just the Pirate-heads) could have used
a little more room. More room to trade, display, build, and battle.

Also some suggestions (some of which are just "me too's")

Better scheduling, especially community meals. I like the idea of pizza on Sat. included in
admission. I know many cons and shows that offer a graduated pricing scale: $X for all day,
$XX for three days, that kind of thing. And what name tag you get will tell the organizers
what you are entitled to (like food.)(I can help here with the tags.)

Also post the schedule in a common area or at the registration desk. I think it would be nice
if someone actually manned the desk, not only for registration but for info, directions, and
scheduling. I'd be happy to work a shift.

I like Chris Weeks' "Everybody Bring a Prize" idea. (But don't let Buffie bring Insectoids.)

Let event people in free. Court the Big Names. (Maybe we can get Evil Stevie over next year to
assist Frank (who did an excellent job BTW.))

Fair warning:  Next year I'm coming up on Friday and leaving late Sunday. None of this run up
for a day stuff. More Bar Soccer! And I left before the group picture was taken. Rats!

Thanks again WAMALUG!

SteveC