Re: Brickfest BrikWars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:41:47 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Mike Rayhawk writes:
I heard that you guys were going to try and run BrikWars games at the
Brickfest, but I haven't seen any mention of them in the postmortems - I take
it they weren't a big hit?  I was interested to see how (or if) the game
worked out, since as far as I know it had never been tried in a convention
setting before.

Hi there,

I was brand new to any kind of LEGO event, especially BrickWars.  I came to
Brickfest just to play Brickwars, but got happily distracted by other things
(including my gf who dragged me away every night before the pub crawls,
damnit).

Anyway, I am the guy wearing the white t-shirt and jeans in these shots.  I am
linking a few images of our TL5 BrickWars game in this message.
Overall, it was a blast.  My mech blew up huge in the 6th or so turn, but I
ended up capturing and holding that base in the middle of the pics (which was
the objective of the game).  I have more detailed pictures I took which I will
upload to my BrickShelf account sometime this week.

The initial setup.  Abandoned base in the middle, 4 players around it.
http://www.brickshelf.com/brickfest2000/saturday/17/2000-06-10-173119-cam1.jpg

My forces move up (that's me on the left)
http://www.brickshelf.com/brickfest2000/saturday/17/2000-06-10-173243-cam1.jpg

Richard Shamus(apologies if I got the name wrong) looks out over the
battlefield.
http://www.brickshelf.com/brickfest2000/saturday/17/2000-06-10-174833-cam1.jpg

Here you can see all four players, left to right: Randy, Jason, John, Richard
http://www.brickshelf.com/brickfest2000/saturday/18/2000-06-10-180221-cam1.jpg

The biggest and coolest explosion of the game, my 140 CP mech atomized.
http://www.brickshelf.com/brickfest2000/saturday/18/2000-06-10-182211-cam1.jpg

Anyway, there are a few shots.  Overall the game went smoothly, and we made up
some rules as we went.  John and I have definately decided to play another
game, learning the 2000 ruleset a bit more and building armies and terrain
before we get there to save time.  It was a lot of fun, IMHO.  A great ruleset,
I must say, that lets things blow up a lot.

Jason